Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I want to be part of that!

by Judy Payne
Originally published in the MMTA Newsletter, December 2012

Gravitation a movement or force toward something or someone.

I joined MMTA via WSMTA [West Suburban Music Teachers Association] as a chance to commune with other music teachers in the western suburbs. To be frank, I did not expect the level of professionalism that I witnessed by these dedicated musicians and teachers. I was simply blown away by the chops these women displayed as they explored and played at the annual Composers Forum meeting in May. I wanted to be part of that.

The next year I attended the National Convention in Austin, Texas. The seminars were wonderful, the mood inviting, and the inspiration to become more deeply involved in professional development solidified. I began attending the state convention. I wanted to be part of that.
During the first years of MMTA membership, I began to enroll many of my students in the State Piano Contest, believing that it was the premier offering of the MMTA, enhanced by memories of playing in the 10 Piano Concert at Northrop in the late 1960s! As a music theory major in college, it was natural to begin to familiarize myself with the MMTA Theory Program and to begin using its materials with my students. I wanted to be part of that.

However, initially, I did not explore the Comprehensive Piano Examination Curriculum. It appeared somehow too, je ne sais quoi… However, in the spirit of a convert, I have wholly embraced the gravitation to what I now believe is the strongest element of the offerings of the MMTA. So how did I experience this change, or more importantly, how can I suggest ways to facilitate the gravitation in other members?

Well, my first transfer student showed me the way. He had already passed the first two levels and was eager to continue in the work. I put the pieces of the puzzle together, what literature he had played, what piano skills he had acquired and where he was with theory. I opened my Piano Examination binder and read and highlighted what I needed to do to advance him to the next level. What had seemed rather unfocused became quite clear once I simply started using the materials.

The next year, I chose approximate levels for each of my students, using the summer to choose literature and to prepare the overall lesson plan for each student for the next year. With this work done, the academic year really became focused into attainable goals. The program incorporates literature, keyboard skills, and sightreading. I could devote my energies as a teacher to developing and relaying a deeper understanding of musical principles and musicality. What a joy! I wanted to be part of that.

Now, a proviso from a convert. Although I use the materials to develop an individualized course of study for each student, I do not require that every student actually take the examination. If this is anathema for you, stop reading. I do believe the core of learning is the most important element, and highly specific requirements should be weighed for each individual student. I have a couple of upper level students that just do not have the time or drive to complete Theory Level IV as a prerequisite for their Piano Examinations. I have a few students who find the differences in the keyboard skills of Theory versus those of Piano Exams confounding. I have some who absolutely find it impossible to schedule year end exams on the same dates as AP and ACT/SAT testing. Are any of these issues insurmountable? No. But, again, my own belief is in the curriculum itself, not in its testing. However, I have some students who absolutely relish the examination experience and the results. Some want the certificate and what it represents, some want the points and ribbons. But what I want is to be the best teacher possible and to give each of my students a well designed and purposeful music education. I want to be a part of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment