Saturday, June 29, 2013

The inner game of performance preparation

by Kathie Younker


It isn’t very often that we piano teachers get a student who seems to do everything right, but every once in a while we get  lucky.    Sure  enough,  my  student  Emily won  Contest  again.    I  could  see  it  in  her  eyes:    she  was  determined  to  accomplish her goal, and she did it with confidence.  She prepares for her piano exams in the same way.  While I know that we as piano teachers all know what students need to do to succeed, unfortunately we can’t make it happen.  They have to do it themselves.  I wanted to know Emily’s inner “game,” so I asked her to write about how she prepares for performance.  My idea was that her words would probably inspire her peers better than mine would.  I also wanted to know how she internalized and personalized the suggestions she got from me as well as from others.

This is what she wrote:

When preparing for a performance such as the MMTA Piano Exam, I begin with a goal in mind.  I set a date/time that I want to have my pieces memorized and my technical skills refined.  I make sure to practice every day until my goal is met.

To  do  well  in  a  piano  performance  I  need  to know  my pieces  inside  and  out.    I  need  to  be  aware of all articulation and expression markings because these little things can make a big  difference. 

I  also  try  to  personalize  my  pieces  by  changing  tempo  markings  to  suit  my  style.    I  add  extra  articulation,  phrasing,  etc., where appropriate (for example, in Baroque music) that  I  feel would add something special to the piece.  What comes from the heart is what matters.

I spoke with her further about how she prepares herself personally for the performance and the stresses involved.  She replied  that she prepares herself ahead of  time by pretending that she is performing when she is alone at  her own piano.  She is then able to tell herself to treat the performance like any other day of practice.  She pretends that she is alone in the room when she is performing.  She never allows doubt to enter her thoughts.  She tells herself that after she did this much work she is going to make it good.  While she is performing, she doesn’t allow herself to think too much about it because it can interfere with concentration.

The most important things for performers, Emily says, are to plan ahead, be organized, and believe in yourself.  And of course, remember that what comes from your heart is what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment